Monday, June 11, 2012

Bitchin'

As this pregnancy progresses, I'm having the "usual" complaints. I can't breathe very well, probably due to the fetus' daily growth spurts, I fluctuate between exhausted and just bleh tired and the burning sensation in my esophagus makes me think this child is going to have an afro.
All of these combined are nagging, annoying things to deal with... But the most annoying of all is other people's responses.

"Oh, it'll be SO worth it!" is apparently the unified statement that every non-pregnant person has agreed to use when confronted with the agitations of a pregnant woman... Not just my Mom :)

Now, I don't doubt the authenticity of this statement. I've never heard anyone say, "Yeah, I'd never get knocked up again.. the heartburn is too freaking bad.. And look, all I got is this kid." I get it. It's worth it. In another 4 months, all of this will be a distant afterthought and I'll be overjoyed and enthralled and whatever other adjective you can think of to describe the feeling of having a new baby.
However, this is now. Much like anything crappy, of course I am trying to keep my eyes on the prize, but constantly hearing this cheery dismissive response makes me want to flare my nostrils and curse.

Thankfully I have a few friends who can relate. I understand that people want to spout off happy thoughts... I probably used to as well. But the constant need to remind me that I will have an actual child at the end of all of this is kinda unnecessary, as pregnancy often leads to a baby and all...
Women have been bitching about this for ages and once the baby is here, there will be a whole new litany of agitations. So to my mommy friends, I will make a concerted effort to listen to your gripes and offer to help if I can.
I've found that simply hearing that these feelings are normal is helpful. For someone who has never been pregnant before, I like knowing that toe-curling acid reflux is expected or extreme exhaustion is just a side effect of doing anything remotely physical.
No shit it'll be worth it. C'mon people.

This past weekend, my wonderful parents brought another load of baby treasures for our house. We now have a beautiful cradle for our little guy, thanks to a very generous family friend and the perfect chair for the nursery from my cousin. Susan and Bill have basically passed down everything awesome from their 2 boys to us... We couldn't be more grateful!
My parents also came with early birthday gifts for me too, which is always amazing :) Our house is looking more and more prepared for the baby and now I have an extremely comfortable bed too.

After some rearranging, we have the cradle set up in our bedroom...
Ignore the poor photo quality... Our child will dream of Bob...

So this week I will be working a bit, catching up on rest and household chores. My next appointment is in a week and I'll have to drink the orange sugar stuff for the diabetes tests. I've still been keeping track of calories and trying to go on a 15 minute power walk most days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be OK.
And even if it's not, it'll SO be worth it, right?!? :)



4 comments:

  1. All the new mommies and mommies to be need to stick together. Us old mommies will just shut up and smile and listen politely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's all just face facts... as the ever blunt one, I, SB will tell you how it is... The truth is, you will not feel like yourself again until said child is 6 months old. At the earliest. It does get better, but it takes it's sweet fucking time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the 3 of you commented... Ha! Max, just remember all of this so you'll know what to say to me in a few months:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah you gotta read my pregnancy blogs. You will appreciate them :)

    ReplyDelete