It's been happening slowly since I got pregnant... I've noticed being out of breath and even though I would not call myself very active, I was certainly able to keep up a good pace of life. Now, not so much.
Since the last appointment with the fear of gaining too much weight gnawing at me, I've been tracking my calories and making sure I walk 20 minutes a day. I thought this would also help me keep up my energy levels throughout the days, but it hasn't really worked out that way.
Last week I had a bit of a scare when after an afternoon quick walk I discovered I was spotting. You would've thought that someone shot me the way I overreacted but thankfully the midwife on call was super supportive and ushered me into the hospital right away to calm me down. Baby was doing just fine and after a surprisingly quick and informative visit, it was determined that I simply had a bladder infection.
I haven't heard back from the midwife since then, so I'm assuming that the antibiotics were good enough to knock out whatever strain I had and I seriously cannot believe how awesome the emergency visit went. Everyone was so nice and other than waiting a little too long to leave, I couldn't have dreamed of a better outcome.
I also learned that my extreme fear of deli meat was quite ridiculous. I've read all over the internet that you shouldn't go near the stuff, but some doctors and nurses have never even heard of such a notion. I believe this is one of those "proceed lightly" situations where you just do what you're comfortable doing... Much like drinking coffee, eating seafood or feta cheese. If only having a glass of wine was in that category...
So back to the walking...
I only took one day off after the visit to the hospital because the next day we made our way up to DC to visit with our Michigan crew. Saturday we trekked through Arlington and saw the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown. It was very emotional seeing all of the veterans getting choked up and I think it's just an innate reaction to cry when Taps is played.
Sunday we toured around a few museums and both evenings I was completely beat. Unexpectedly beat. I thought I'd be able to hang a little better since I'd been power walking, but the heat and the hills really did me in. I will not be posting any pictures of our weekend because then my unflatteringly bloated sweaty pregnant self will forever be engrained in your minds too and I'd like to just live in denial a bit longer.
It's been 2 days since we got back and I walked this evening with Harold and am working all day tomorrow and Friday so I'm sure to keep the exercise up. And I've been craving some vanilla ice cream, but my well meaning husband decided to pick up 3 other flavors that I have no desire to even smell, so I guess I'll save a few calories there. I think we walked off everything we ate this weekend though, so I'll find a good way to justify it by the time I get to the store tomorrow :)
Ashley and Nina, if you're reading this, I had such an amazing time seeing you guys... I love you both and am excited to continue our Memorial Day tradition! xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment