Monday, November 10, 2014

30 Weeks, lots of updates.

Well it's no secret that each pregnancy is different. I just had no idea how very different they possibly could be! I've been saying things like "I don't remember feeling like this!" and "This just didn't happen the 1st time!" at almost every single turn.
The first main difference is time.
No surprise there!
Harrison was cooking away as I worked a pretty low demand job. I had all the time in the world to rest. Hours of Netflix at my disposal and my feet propped up on the couch called my name anytime the slightest discomfort arose. I felt exhausted and bloated always. I was so ready to just get him out that I let myself get more miserable than necessary. Then after a crazy labor and birth, I was shell shocked. Newborn was (of course) WAY harder than being pregnant ever was.
2nd time around and finding time to take a break is almost laughable.
These 30 weeks have completely snuck up on me. I power through the days and weeks forgetting to just sit down. My body has rebelled a bit, but all-in-all I'm fine. Discomfort is just a part of life (an extra 20lbs will do that to you) but since I can't just lay down and flounder on the couch, I can handle a lot more. My DVR is full of shows I can watch occasionally and the Netflix cue has not changed in over 2 years.  And I am nowhere near ready for this baby to be here.
Time really effects every other aspect too and then there's the differences that are around to just keep you on your toes...

-In the first 6 months, I had morning sickness like crazy... With Harrison, I puked once. Whilst looking at raw chicken. Which would make me puke in a non-pregnant state anyway.
-I couldn't eat red meat until about 3 weeks ago this time, last pregnancy it was chicken.
-I craved lemons and onions with Harrison. Now, I was sweets. ALL OF THE SWEETS.
-My body feels VERY different. I began my 1st pregnancy almost 20 lbs heavier than with this one, so I've been able to handle the stress of weight gain a lot easier this time. However, my bones ache.
-With Harrison, I never slept better. Pinecone likes to kick me all night. Every night. And wedge in almost any uncomfortable position humanly possible.
- And then, there's my skin. I had a nice clear complexion the first go around. Now, my cleanser collection includes every brand of scrub, wash, calming cream and acne blaster you could imagine. My cheeks are just going to be red until all of this extra estrogen is out of me.

Lastly, let's talk about the glucose test!!!
Took me 3 times to pass that damn thing with Harrison and this time, I passed (without barfing or passing out) the 1st time around. WOOHOO!

So yeah, it's all different.
And of course, this effects my attitude as well. I'm way more confident in some ways but since I know how hard it's all going to be very soon, I am calmly trying to work out ways to make life easier once we have 2.
Baby girls' room is slowly coming together (Harrison's was done and ready at like 4 months) and almost no one knows the baby name (read: previous post).

My amazing family is throwing me a baby shower soon and I am so excited this time around. The first kid gets the royal treatment-- We had 4 showers full of fancy decorations and food, tons of gifts and family and friends that traveled near and far to celebrate. This time around is more about a little celebration with those who love us. Let's face it, it's our last baby shower! We don't need much for this little pinecone, so it's way more about love than any gifts or fanciness. Just when things are getting real... (Like really real--you're about to have another infant in your home and holy cow you still have a toddler to handle every single day too)... your friends and family show up to help you remember that it really is a wonderful thing. This is an amazingly hard and beautiful time for us and those who are here to help us celebrate will only make it more special!

On that note, I'm off to work on the nursery and get ready for our family photo shoot this week. My first time having a baby bump in professional photos! Hopefully more updates in a few weeks!







No comments:

Post a Comment