I am close to the halfway mark with Baby D #2 and finding myself more busy/tired/excited than ever.
Harrison is talking up a storm and starts preschool in 2 weeks. I am amazed at this little man, he is happy and fun and seemingly very smart, so days with him are way more entertaining than I ever imagined. Although the baby stages were hard and great in their own way (i.e. not my fav), watching him grow into this sweet kid has really been a mind blowing experience!
Harrison had his 1st stomach bug recently. Still smiling through the vom.
His school meets 2 mornings a week starting in September at the Presbyterian church downtown. Mornings are filled with story times, play grounds and crafts. And socializing! I've signed up to be the class mom so I can be involved and meet some other parents with children his age. So far, I've really liked everyone I've met. No crazy judgey parents, no mean children, just a group of moms and dads a lot like us. Some are even busier; more children, different job schedules, etc., but it's really nice to get together with a whole class of people on a Tuesday morning and watch our little ones figure each other out. After avoiding park meet ups for 2 years, I am so happy we went last week.
As far as pregnancy goes, this one has been an entirely different experience from day 1.
I had awful morning sickness for a few months. Also, being pregnant AND having a toddler is nuts. I used to go to work and come straight home. Maybe walk the dog, but mostly relax.
Yeah, that's not really an option now. I love my doctors (NO MIDWIVES!!!) and we are starting to play the name game. Not Eric's favorite past time.
16/17ish weeks (?) Who knows.
I am really lucky to be able to stay home and not have a job to add to this situation. BUT I will say, staying at home is no walk in the park. Especially now. I basically feel like a full time/over time teacher/maid/cook. I may not bring in a paycheck, but this is definitely more work than any outside job I've ever had.
I try not to let it bother me when people make snide comments about being a stay at home mom, which honestly rarely happens, but let me tell ya, it's no joke.
In the beginning, I wished I could go back to work.
Who wouldn't want a break?
Parents who work outside the home get social interaction with other adults! You get to accomplish set goals and receive money in return for completing those goals! You have a boss or employees that yes, may not be great, but can tell you when you do something right!
Moms and Dads who stay at home don't get that. Even if your spouse is awesome and tells you thank you or gives you confidence boosts of encouragement, it is not the same. And there is no paycheck for scrubbing toilets or doing laundry like you own a laundromat. There is very little brain stimulation in watching Sesame Street or reading Are You A Cow?
But, I get to teach my child.
I get to be the one who reads Are You A Cow and make countless pb&j's.
And I love it.
It is not for everyone, but for me, it is perfect. I realize being a working parent has it's own set of struggles, but every situation does. Just because a parent "gets" to stay at home does not mean life is a walk in the park (well not every day anyway).
Some days we play inside too ;)
So with #2 rapidly on their way, I am trying to enjoy this time and honestly cannot wait to see Harrison interact with his little sister or brother. I look forward to that tight hug around my neck every night and those crazy new expressions or sayings that fly out of his mouth every day. I can't believe I get to do it all over again. That, my friends, is better than any paycheck I've ever earned.



Glad to hear you so happy. You look great and Harrison is just so cute. Great job momma!
ReplyDeleteThanks Grammie Q!
ReplyDelete